How often should you clean your dryer vent? and why you should clean your dryer vent
When was the last time you cleaned your dryer vent?
If the answer is I don’t know, or even worse, I didn’t know I was supposed to. Here’s how often you should clean your dryer vent in Florida. Did you know that when a clogged a dryer vent, is unable to “breathe” it leaves your dryer and home exposed to hazards?
The short answer is to clean your dryer vent once a year at minimum
Experts recommend you should clean your dryer vent at a minimum once a year.
We recommend having you dryer vent professionally cleaned once a year! Cleaning the actual dryer vent involves:
- Going outside to inspect the dryer vent opening
- Clearing obstructions from the outside dryer vent cover or exhaust port
- Removing lint buildup from the entire length of the dryer vent
- Cleaning the area behind the dryer
Does this sound like a lot of work? It can be, but that is why you may want to hire a professional dryer vent cleaner in Florida to do the job properly and safely. Cleaning dryer vents in Florida requires getting on the roof to clean the damper about 99% of the time. Obviously getting on the roof requires safety precautions, but if hiring someone to clean the dryer vent for you, we strongly recommend avoiding the handyman and hiring a licensed and insured dryer vent cleaning contractor. Hiring a licensed dryer vent cleaning contractor can assure you that the dryer vent is being cleaned properly and any additional issues will be identified.
You may want to clean the dryer vent more often than once a year
An annual dryer vent cleaning is actually the bare minimum that dryer vent experts recommend.
You may want to clean your dryer vents several times a year, depending on your:
- Size of family: The more loads you wash, the more often you need to clean your dryer vent due to the linen breaking down etc.
- Frequency of buying clothes: New clothes produce more lint than clothes that have been washed and dried before.
- Pets: Pet hair or fur can cause dryer vents to get clogged much more quickly than those in pet-free homes.
- Types of laundry: Bulky items like towels and blankets also cause dryer vents to get clogged more frequently.
Don’t let a clogged dryer vent leave you wearing dirty clothes
Yes, you can clean your dryer vent yourself by purchasing a dryer vent cleaning kit from your local hardware store. It is just as important to clean the exhaust vent at the roof, be sure to follow all safety precautions. Calling a professional is not much more expensive than buying the kit to clean it yourself. Cleaning your dryer vent annually is a routine home maintenance. Avoiding problems associated with a clogged dryer vent makes it critical to schedule a professional dryer cleaning at least once a year.